Procedure for Submitting Curriculum Changes* and New Technical Breadth Areas
* NOTE: If your curriculum change involves adding a new course or revising an existing course, the course proposals must be submitted concurrently with the curriculum proposal.
If you are unsure of what the FEC can approve, and what needs to go to the Undergraduate Council, please click on link below:
When submitting a proposal, departments must include the following:
- cover letter describing the changes as well as an academic rationale
- catalog text formatted showing the changes before and after
Depending on the request, the proposal may also need:
- a more elaborate discussion about the nature of the curricular revisions
- information about student enrollment in the program
- enrollment data for courses
- letters of support from departments and/or Deans
- faculty vote from within the department
1. Department needs to write a memorandum to the FEC Chair. If the change is considered to be extensive, a Department Faculty vote should be included.
** NOTE: Although the above sample does not do so, it is now required that the memo include the term when the changes should be made effective.
2. Depending on the proposal, the following will also need to be included:
2a. If proposing a curriculum change, department needs to include a catalog copy revision.
– catalog copy template
2b. If proposing adding a new technical breadth area, department needs to include a technical breadth area proposal.
4. It is advised that you meet the FEC posted submission deadlines to expedite the processing of your proposal.